When your car breaks down while racing, there are a few things you need to watch out for.
The engine stops, a tire bursts, and the toothed belt snaps, there are many reasons for car breakdowns. And they usually happen at the wrong moment, for example, on the freeway. Then it’s time to keep calm and react appropriately.
Breakdown during car racing: Steps to do everything right and protect yourself
- Switch on the hazard lights as soon as you notice the breakdown.
- Try to reach a parking lot or a layby. If this is no longer possible, you should allow the car to coast on the hard shoulder of the motorway or on the right-hand side of the road.
- Once the vehicle has stopped, align the wheels to the right. In the event of a rear-end collision, this prevents your car from being catapulted back onto the road.
- Turn on the parking lights when it’s dark.
- Turn off the engine.
- It will be helpful to wear a warning vest.
- Go to a safe waiting area, but do not cross the road to do so.
- If your vehicle, lost cargo or vehicle parts endanger traffic, you must call the police or Santa Clara towing. Do not attempt to retrieve lost items from the street yourself.
- Set up the warning triangle. An open trunk also warns following traffic.
Planning is the be-all and end-all
If you want to prevent a possible breakdown, then it is all about a bit of planning. Depending on the length of the upcoming route, this planning should be more or less detailed. It is advisable, especially before long journeys, to plan charging breaks and if in doubt, to measure them more generously. Especially when you exhaust the expected range of your vehicle, there is a high risk that you will break down due to a detour or other unplanned circumstances.
More and more modern infotainment systems in e-cars are now able to calculate longer routes with charging breaks. In this case, the technology does the planning for reloading for you. However, you should still be careful when traveling. Here it is advisable to make sure that the navigation system in your car also has charging stations.